If you're looking for a break from the winter weather in a cold northern climate, Houston is a great choice. This vibrant city has more than great weather; there's also enough to do here to keep you busy for weeks. With lots of culture, shopping, fine dining and more, you'll never run out of things to do in Houston, and that's why it is one of the best extended vacation destinations for snowbirds. Here are a few of the many things you can see and do in the city:
- Al Aseel Grille and Cafe, which was listed on Southern Living's 2013 list of The South's Best Fried Chicken.
- Beaver's, which has one of the best steaks in the U.S. according to Food & Wine magazine.
- Churrascos, which was voted one of the Best Steakhouses in America in 2013 by Travel + Leisure.
Aside from these, there are many other noteworthy restaurants in Houston. There are also lots of little-known places to discover on your own. Whether you're looking for fine dining, authentic Texas barbecue or ethnic cuisine, you should have little trouble finding exactly what you're craving.
- Augusta Pines, which offers a varied course of undulating greens, tall pines and plenty of water.
- BlackHorse Golf Club, which was rated in the Top 10 of America's Top 100 Golf Courses Under $100 by Travel and Leisure Magazine.
- Houston National Golf Club, which has the highest U.S.G.A. course rating in the greater Houston area.
These are just a few of the many golf courses in the city. If you drive a few miles in any direction from downtown, you'll quickly find yourself surrounded by the lush green hills of new and well-established golf courses. Considering Houston enjoys 250 sunny days a year and has an average temperature of 70 degrees, you'll be able to enjoy plenty of golfing year round.
Museums and Arts
- Contemporary Arts Museum of Houston, which is dedicated to offering the best and most exciting art from the last 40 years, including regional, national and international artists.
- Houston Center for Photography, which spotlights work from emerging and under-recognized artists.
- Houston Museum of Natural Science, which offers many exciting exhibits including the Burke Baker Planetarium, Cockrell Butterfly Center and the Wortham IMAX Theatre.
Houston's Museum District enjoys more than 7 million visits every year, and it's one of the top cultural districts anywhere in the country. The district is made up of 20 museums in all, including the three listed above. Best of all, 12 of these museums are free year-round, providing visitors with many opportunities to learn and explore without straining your wallet.
While you explore all of the great things Houston has to offer, it's a great idea to choose short-term vacation housing to serve as your "home away from home." This type of corporate housing is roomier and more comfortable than a hotel, but you still enjoy great service and amenities, including full kitchens. By booking with a professional company with more than 30 years of experience, you ensure that you'll get the best possible accommodations.
With so many great opportunities, there's no reason not to explore this great city. Come see all that Houston has to offer this winter!